SMG Evolves in 2013
Dear Current and Prospective SMG Members,
Over the last year the Board of Directors and active members of SMG have discussed ongoing improvements to our club. We are pleased to announce the latest round of changes for 2013 and beyond.
- SMG will now have just one membership level with the full privileges of the former Priority level. Dues will remain at the former Basic level however, which is only $20/month or $200/year! All current members will be transitioned on or before November 1. Current annual members will be pro-rated.
- All events are now first-come first-served. All events will open approximately three weeks prior on Wednesday at 8pm. The only exceptions are expeditions and expert-level technical events where prior screening is prudent.
- Anyone can now attend one event before deciding to become a member, and an unlimited number of core classes. This will allow people to check out the club and see if SMG is right for them. They will still need to join Meetup to RSVP and sign the waiver, but the event is FREE.
- Prior RSVP privileges are now available to Event Organizers and Board Members as a courtesy for their integral role in supporting the club. If you would like to become an EO or a board member, please contact Darren.
- Every year, SMG will continue to sponsor out-of-state climbing expeditions. Last year we put 10 members on top of Mt. Rainier. 2013 will see the club climbing the Grand Teton in Wyoming, Mt. Hood and Mt. Jefferson in Oregon, and Mt. Goode and Mt. Logan in Washington's North Cascades. We will also have a strong showing of 3-5 day climbing events here at home. In addition, we endeavor to provide at least one climb on each of California's many spectacular Fourteeners every year. Check out our 2013 schedule!
- Every month, SMG will hold one evening core class, one single-day weekend training event, and one peak climb as a minimum. The calendar will be supplemented by other peak climbing and training events led by approved event organizers and members at large, which historically has provided at least one event every week. We are striving for many more! You can help by sharing your climbing plans with the group - it is one of the best ways to find climbing partners and get involved.
- All current official members now have access to all our skills videos, maps, and training resources at www.sierramountaineeringgroup.org/resources. These materials were created and produced by SMG exclusively for our members and are available nowhere else.
- You must be a current member of SMG to attend beyond that first free event. Becoming a member is easy: www.sierramountaineeringgroup.org/join
If you are a former "Free" Member of SMG or your membership has expired and you need to renew, you should have already filled out a profile here on our homepage. You should be able to go straight to your membership options at www.sierramountaineeringgroup.org/user/membership. This is the last page of the membership profile process. You can only go here if you have a completed profile. There you can select a monthly or annual membership level and complete the process through PayPal to become a member.
If you have never filled out a profile or been an official member of SMG before, follow the usual link at www.sierramountaineeringgroup.org/join then follow the steps to fill out a profile and select your membership level.
It is our belief that these changes will enable more members to become active contributing members of the club and grow our calendar and opportunities for all involved. All changes took effect on November 1st, 2012. If you have ideas or feedback on these changes or future direction for SMG, please contact any member of the Board, or Darren Shutt at (916) 832-1484.
Here's to another year of adventure with you!
- Darren Shutt, SMG President and the SMG Board of Directors
PS: please enjoy the video of the BEST OF SMG IN 2012